Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I should probably be more embarrassed to admit, but sometimes I watch my wedding video.  Over and over.  And over and over.  I like it, ok?!  So today I watched my wedding video, and then even somebody else's, and was just feeling happy about love and life.
Then I stumbled across an article.  The story told that a woman in Tunisia was in the car with her fiance.  Three officers approached the couple.  One of the officers took the man to a nearby ATM to extort money from him while the other two officers raped the woman inside the car.  When the woman filed a complaint against the officers, she was charged for public indecency.
The story hit me hard, and not only because of the stark contrast to what my brain had been engorged with earlier.  Really unfair things happen to people everyday.  I'll admit, I'm not the most up-to-date on news and what's happening in the world.  I'm not well informed on the laws or culture in Tunisia.  I'm not a psychologist, and can't tell you anything about why people do what they do.
Maybe the cops are complete dunces.  Maybe the woman is lying and the police officers are actually honest, upright men.  Maybe the police force over there is corrupt and this type of thing happens everyday.  Maybe it was somebody else's fault entirely.
Regardless of the frequency or predictability of this situation, regardless of who is right and who is wrong, and regardless of what the outcome will be, I feel sad for everyone involved.
I hope I can do my part to stop these kinds of situations from happening, because nobody deserves this.

1 comment: