Thursday, June 28, 2012

Just being kids at Disney
     I looked over at my husband with tears in my eyes as the doctor started explaining to me what "differential diagnosis" means.  I couldn't really understand what he was saying, nor did I want to listen to what he had to say.  All I knew is he was sending us to the emergency room.
     I told my husband of less than a month that it was time to call my Mom.  I explained to her that we were at an urgent care clinic and on our way to the emergency room.  I didn't even try to mask that I was crying.  I told her of my possible diagnosis and then proceeded to tell her why I was actually crying: I wasn't going to be able to go to Disneyland with my friends.  I explained to her that my husband and four friends had been waiting for over 2 hours with me instead of using pre-purchased tickets to Disneyland, and now I was condemned to waiting four plus hours in the ER, which would mean, based on their resiliency thus far, that so were they.  My wise mother then said, "We're not here to go to Disneyland.  We're here to take care of each other.  That's what life is all about."  Then she added sternly, "Let Mikey and your friends take care of you."
     That was my favorite quote of the weekend.  "We're not here to go to Disneyland.  We're here to take care of each other."  So wise.  So true.
     On an unrelated note, my second favorite quote of the weekend was a question posed to my husband by the male nurse, probably in his twenties: "So is this your daughter?"
     Yes, that question was asked in reference to me.
     And now for the good news.  After an ultrasound, an IV, 4 prescriptions, and a good nights sleep, I made it to Disneyland (with a kidney and urinary tract infection) for an open to close, running ride to ride, acting like 6 married children, memorable trip.
Thanks for the good advice, Mom.
Thanks for taking good care of me, 4 friends.
And thanks for sticking with me through it all, Mikey.

1 comment:

  1. Love that mom of yours. And Mikey, would that I could shake that hand. Well done.

    ReplyDelete