What am I allowed to expect from and require of other people?
This is a question I have found myself coming back to and wrestling over and over with, for at least the past 2 years, if not past 3.
Some real-world examples:
Is it fair for me to expect a returned phone call?
Is it fair for me to expect my friends to _____? (You fill in the blank: invite me, ask me how my day was, etc...)
Is it fair for me to expect people to keep their word?
These types of questions torment me most when I find myself feeling unjustified or unhappy with somebody or some situation.
After this thought process, I always come to the conclusion that it is best not to expect anything out of anybody, because then I'll never be disappointed. After all, I didn't expect them to _____, so then I don't have to be mad.
But I think this is incorrect. I just don't know why.
Comments from my (ahem, 2) readers are, dare I say it, expected?
Expect a comment from me.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes I am still awake at 1:37AM even though we are waking up in 5 hours and you have been sound asleep for one hour.
The Internet is taking over the world.
I think you're great.
ReplyDeleteWow...does that mean I make three?
ReplyDeleteI have thought a lot about this. You hear that you're supposed to be self-less in loving your friends, in your relationships, etc, and then when you have no expectations, life is kind of lame.
I think it's a balance of trust and communication; you need to expect things from the right people, and stick up for yourself enough to hold them to it.
All in the spirit of love and perpetual education about life, of course.
By the way. I loved the christmas newsletter! Speaking of expecting the best....
Expect to be happy. If you're not happy, it's okay to take necessary steps to be happy.
ReplyDelete